The second Norfolk Care Awards was attended by over 300 people on 26th February 2015. We saw the best of the best receive recognition for the hard work and dedication they demonstrate day in, day out, while delivering care and support to the people of Norfolk. The awards demonstrated a wealth of dedication, inspiration and innovation.
Norman Lamb, the Minister for Care and Support and David Prior Chair of the Care Quality Commission (CQC) attended and spoke passionately about the ground breaking work in the delivery of adult social care in Norfolk.
Chris Carter, Home Instead said 'I'm absolutely delighted to be collecting this award on behalf of all the amazing, kind, generous people that I work with. People can live well with dementia; there is always hope'.
Lady Joyce Hopwood who won the Outstanding Achievement Award said 'I've just done what seemed to be there to do, that's as much as anyone can do'.
The Norfolk Care Awards 2015 had 9 categories, each of which had 3 judging criteria:
Delivering Excellence Through Learning and Development
- There are effective systems in place for gathering information about learning and development needs across the organisation
- The organisation has a plan for delivering learning and development programmes which meet the needs of the individual and the organisation
- There are examples of practice which have been enhanced by the delivery of learning and development programmes
Effective Coordination of End of Life Care
- There are systems for establishing and reviewing advance care plans
- All staff understand the importance of effective coordination of End of Life care
- There are practical examples of effective coordination of End of Life care that has made a difference to the individual and their families
Excellent Person Centred Care and Support
- There are effective systems in place to ensure the individuals’ who need care and support are involved in planning their care and support services
- All staff actively engage people who need care and support in planning their care service
- There are examples of people who need care and support leading the delivery of their care services
Excellence in Delivering Dementia Care
- There are practical examples of the implementation of new and innovative thinking to improve the quality of care and support provided to people with dementia
- Everyone delivering the service understand the needs of people with dementia
- A focus on Relationship Centred care to support personal outcomes
Most Supportive Employer (Student Placement)
- The employer has established a plan to support the student to over and above the requirements of the learning programme
- The employer has provided a rich and diverse learning environment and learning opportunities for the student
- The student has added value to the organisation during his/her placement
- The motivational leader has made the vision, mission and values come alive for their team and the people who use care and support services
- The motivational leader acts as a positive role model, provides mentoring and informal development opportunities for team members and engages positively with key stakeholders
- There are practical examples of how the motivational leader has empowered team members to make a difference to the quality of the care and support offered to people who need care and support and the culture of the organisation
Promoting Dignity and Respect in Every Day Life
- All staff are aware of the importance of dignity and respect and actively engage in promoting dignity and respect in every area of the work that they do
- A culture of promoting dignity and respect is shared throughout the organisation and involves non care workers, visitors to the care service and dignity and respect within staff teams
- There are practical examples of how care and support services have been enhanced through the promotion of dignity and respect
- Someone who has been delivering social care or health services for no longer than eighteen months who has demonstrated an understanding and empathy with people who use care and support services and is always willing to go the extra mile